Saturday 2 February 2013

The Hobbit - Radagast the Brown

I must admit I was a little anxious after seeing images of Radagast and being told about him by people who had seen the film before me. I had always thought of the brown wizard much like how GW had done with a model some years ago, though I must say I was pleasantly surprised by Sylvester McCoy's performance and enjoyed the whimsical nature of the character. I walked into the cinema feeling like Saruman and left more like Gandalf.

Anyway, the model is superbly detailed and has a lovely dynamic pose. Which I think contrasts with Gandalf quite nicely. Painting the two wizards makes me want to get a model for Saruman, perhaps the one on a horse. I painted him in darker shades of brown as I didn't think the paint scheme on the box was grubby enough. I thought of the colour of soil and went for that. It really was a treat to paint such a detailed and multi-layered model that was so radically different to what I normally paint. To improve my painting I try to paint as many different models as possible and so far I am finding these Hobbit miniatures a delightful diversion from the grim darkness of the far future or the blood-stained lands of the Old World.











The plan this year was to paint Hobbit miniatures for a few months then move on to finishing off my Tomb Kings before painting my Warriors of Chaos. This was going to take me to July so that the summer could be spent painting Dark Elves and Space Marines. Unfortunately GW decided to release new Dark Angels then new Warriors of Chaos so it may transpire Hobbit stuff is finished rather rapidly to make way for all kinds of interesting new things. Over the next few weeks I will be posting various dwarves before probably having a massive post on Goblins. This certainly promises to be a busy year for me and should provide lots of content for the blog. All I need to do now is get the others posting their miniatures as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...