Tuesday 28 May 2013

Warmachine - Now for something completely different...

For a while I have been thinking of trying something different. After looking at various miniature wargames I decided on two I fancied having a go at: Warmachine and Pike & Shotte. My brother (and my most regular opponent) showed little interest in re-enacting the wars of the 17th century, so I opted first to have a stab at some full metal fantasy.

Warmachine is made by Privateer Press; consequently making it the first non-GW miniature game I have played. Unlike both Warhammer Fantasy and 40k, Warmachine does not require you to buy massive armies (unless you really want to) and functions mainly as a skirmish game where huge steam-powered robots controlled by powerful Warcasters attempt to beat each other to hell and back. Of the various factions available to me I chose the Protectorate of Menoth because of their zero-telerance policy towards heretics, pyromania and fancy robes.

The road to salvation is paved with the skulls of heretics!
With my brother also starting I had an opponent, ready to crush him beneath my righteous heel I managed to get both the Battle Box starter set and the Menoth hardback faction book off of ebay cheaply and set about my plans. Over the past two months I have been avidly reading everything I can about the Protectorate and slowly painting my first set of models which I will post as soon as I get the chance to photograph them.

The other day I had my first battle against Cygnar which ended with me smashing Coleman Stryker's smug face into a bloody pulp. It was most enjoyable and when I know the rules better I will post some of the battles I have against my brother. It was fun to try out a vastly different rule set to what I am accustomed to and I look forward to playing some more games in future.

With my Blackwing now mostly painted and not likely to expand any time soon, I have decided that this shall be my main project until my beloved Dark Elves or Sisters of Battle get a new book. I hope to be posting all kinds of Warmachine goodness over the next couple of months as I get to grips with the game and adding even more variety to the blog.

Glory to Menoth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...