Monday 28 October 2013

Doombringer's Dark Elves - The Workbench I

I have finally gotten round to reading the new army book and starting work on my new minis. I must say I do like the new book both stylistically and in terms of content, the full colour treatment has really bought out the sick and twisted nature of the druchii. The models (in my very biased opinion) are absolutely amazing and I would probably buy several of each box were I not restricted by time and money.

This week I have been working on my new Witch Elves and the gloriously evil Cauldron of Blood, as well as thinking about the new rules and force organisation. 

Witch Elves
Another reason to love Dark Elves!
Always Strike First as an army wide special rule is fantastic and I think worth losing Eternal Hatred for, most units have Hatred (High Elves) now anyway and Murderous Prowess which I think will only make our units even deadlier on the tabletop.

There has of course been some raising of points values which was inevitable as well as a slight reorganisation of what place some units occupy in the army. Witch Elves are now core and possibly one of the best core options in the game (if you are willing to pay the price for the new models, more on that later) and the rare selection has been filled with lots of new and interesting choices. The War Hydra and the Reaper Bolt Throwers have moved into the special section, as have Harpies and the new Scourgerunner chariot. The special section is beginning to feel very crowded which means greater competition choice-wise, I have a feeling that after a while some special options will never be fielded competitively as they are passed over in favour of more optimised units.

Anyway, onto the models...





This is my current spread of WIP Dark Elves. This is actually relatively tidy in comparison to when I have had other half-finished armies sat on top of this cabinet.


I can't believe I bought the Witch Elves. As lovely a set of models they are I cannot justify spending £35 on only ten infantry models. I think my senses must have abandoned me for several minutes when I ordered them. They are however amazing models with a cool aesthetic that makes a really characterful unit. It is a shame there are only five poses and are a nightmare to rank up, but they look great regardless. 


I have also started this conversion with some old Dark Eldar warriors to make my own Sisters of Slaughter from the spare parts of the Witch Elf kit. A very blurry picture I realise, but then again I wouldn't want to give too mach away before they are done now would I...





I also got the Cauldron of Blood which had been in dire need of an update and GW really delivered. I was going to build it up as a Bloodwrack Shrine as it looks really awesome but the rules are incredibly sub-par. I therefore decided on building a Death Hag with her cauldron as the leader and centre-piece of my Khainite army. I have been painting it in separate pieces and only started assembling it today with only tidying-up and the last few layers of highlighting to do now. The statue is almost ready and the Hags I am painting alongside my other Witch Elves to make sure I get a consistent look.



The Medusa itself is a great model that I will discuss it more at a later date. Same with Crone Hellebron whose hair I can't seem to get right at the moment. 

The second wave of dark elves look very good as well. The warlocks are looking like they will be an auto-include in almost every competitive list and it helps that their models are cool as well. The Executioner/Black Guard kit looks good though I am annoyed at how the sprue is cut as I wanted to use the torso for a conversion and it looks like it would be impractical to use it for what I wanted. I am still undecided about the new chariot with only one wheel, I think I may need to see more pictures before I make my mind up.

The Fleetmaster is a terrible Lord choice; a Dreadlord is simply superior in every regard. I do however love the model (except the hair, mine shall be bald) and plan to get one. I think the sword peg-leg is a highly characterful and typically warhammerish feature that despite the impracticalities really makes the model for me.

As you can see progress has been slow so far and I seem to have spent far more time rambling about models and rules than actually painting. Never mind, I do now have a bit of a break from school work in order to do some painting that should pop up on the blog sometime in the next week or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...